Thursday, January 8, 2009

Here I am again...


Well, now that Christmas is over (and Leah's quilt is done) I have some time again to devote to stitching. So, this is the WIP I'm currently devoting my attention to. I actually started this mid '08 (I think), but it was/is the first time I've stitched on linen, and I got frustrated with it and put it down... I seem to recall making the mistake of trying to stitch while the hubby was driving down a windy country road. Problem #1: Near instantaneous nausea. Problem #2: I couldn't keep track of the stinkin' holes! So, being wiser now (ummm... maybe) I have picked it up again. It's going pretty well, actually (other than when I have to frog b/c I'm not paying attention, and other than the bane of every stitcher's existence - knotting thread). I only get a couple hours per day (at the most) to stitch. Considering that I only had the first few rows done when I picked it up again, I think it's actually going pretty quickly. I'd say I'm almost 1/3 of the way done. The design is Border Study in Red (obviously, I did not choose red. I chose DMC 3750.) from Heron House Designs.
One of the things I think I've learned while working this project is that the quality of the fabric used really does matter. I bought a cheapo 28 ct. linen at a big box store, and I wonder often if the way the fabric catches on the threads is part of the reason I get knotted up so frequently... any of you more experienced stitchers have any advice or insight on this?
My other WIP is Gentle Strength... not sure when I'll pick it up again, but I will. I really want to give it to my mom as a gift some day... not sure when that "some day" will be, though.
I have lots of grand plans for 2009 stitching-wise, but more on that in the next post.